Monday, February 6, 2012

Dentist

I don't know about you; but I was seriously traumatized as a little girl/teenager by the dentist.  I can go to the dentist as an adult for a cleaning; but if the words "you need a filling, or a crown" or any other major work, you will see me run out the door,  leaving my dust behind me.  It's really hard for me to hold in my anxiety, and say nothing about how I am feeling, because I try so hard to make my 6 year old's dentist visits and impression of the dentist a positive one.  Our family dentist is the sweetest man EVER, and is so GOOD to my son; however, I really like him; but he KNOWS it will be a cold day in hell to get me  into the office to get work done.
A few years ago, I had a cavity, and needed a filling; and of course my dentist says; you better get it done quickly; I have time right now; UM...I don't think so, I need a couple days.  Because I waitied it out, I ended up getting an abcess and then bad tooth pain, and one thing led to another and was in need of a  root canal.  I was quite suprised that I went ahead and had the root canal done, probably because I was in pain.  It went off without a hitch; I didn't feel anything; but because of my fear; and the fact that I didn't think we could afford the money out of pocket for my crown, I put it off.  The inevitable happened; which was my tooth prepped for the crown broke completely off down to the gum line; so NOW I really have to have MAJOR 4,000 worth of work done.  I'm severly petrified of the dentist/needles or whatever it is; but suprisingly, I was on my way to keeping my appointment with the same endodontist that I have known for years, and worked with in surgery, he did, in fact pull all 4 of my wisdom teeth at the same time.  He's a pretty smart fella; I think he knew, he would not see me again.  So what am I worried about right?  I have no idea; I'm sure it's all psychological, hence the first 6 letters in the word; PSYCHO-logical.  LOL.
Today was supposed to be the day to have the rest of the tooth removed; I was definately on HIGH ANXIETY alert when I got up this morning; so much so that I thought I was going to vomit.  I was all worked up, and was going to keep my appointment and BLAM, I get a phone call cancelling my appointment, YES, I'm sure, it was cancelled because I was WISHING that I could cancel it; but I was being a BIG girl and I was going to go to the appointment.  So now,  in 3 weeks; I will go through the same emotionally riddden HIGH anxiety roller coaster prior to the tooth being removed... sometimes you best be cafeful what you wish for; but am grateful that I have yet another 3 weeks to put this experience behind me; I will be as brave as I can be, and not show how I really feel in front of my 6 year old; because I truly want him to believe that the dentist is a good guy; which he is. 
stay tuned to the life in times of my dental appointments.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment