Friday, March 16, 2012

Life SO Gets in the way...

I have been jonsen to go outside for over a week and run; however, I have been resigned to the treadmill because my husband works late.  Monday I ran on the treadmill because I was tired, this daylight savings time is wrecking havoc on my sleep cycle, so I knew that if I did not run right away on the treamill it was not going to happen.  By wednesday, the temperature was 80 degrees and  I was getting outside no matter what it took; so I bribed my 6 year old son into riding his bike with me for 5 miles (it turned out to be 4.19) for ice cream and starburst when we returned home and a Ben 10 action figure that I promised to purchase on thursday after he got off the bus (yes I did purchase the toy)...I was thinking YES, I'm actually going to run outside.   

 
So we started out from our home which we live out in the middle of nowhere, so there is not a lot of traffic on our roads, we get to the stop sign which is a half mile and my son is good, he's ready to go; by the time we reached our 1 1/2 mile mark, he needed to pee; Pit stop #1. 
Pit stop #2 came at 1 3/4 mile where he just needed to get off his bike and run with me; albeit, it was very windy so riding and running in the wind was not pleasurable, and neither was running and pushing a youth bicycle.  By the time it was all said and done, we had probaby stopped 10 times, (of course one of those we "had" to stop to listen to the pigs squeel at the pig farm, and/or smell their stench),  over the course of the 4.19 miles that I ran.    At first I was upset with myself because I knew my husband was coming home at a reasonable time and I didn't have to cook; so I could have ran outside by myself; but then I decided not to be upset.  It was an incredible day and I was able to run OUTSIDE, while  my 6 year old rode his bike for 4.19 miles, even if he had to stop along the way. I decided that it was fun to run with him, and that I loved  his talking about random stuff about his dream he had about having bubbles that shot out of his finger tips.  This all helped me keep my mind off how incredibly hot it was outside.  I feel great about the run, I felt like I was teaching him  invaluable lessons about exercise and that all things are not easy, even if we are on two wheels, it can be hard and we don't give up.  We inevitable walked the last one mile home because I just couldn't force him to ride his bike any more for my benefit.  So we held hands and walked along the country road while I pushed his bike...It was so awesome to be outside with my son and to hold his hand, and just BE IN THE MOMENT, which made smile. 
So my advice to any mom with kids is; Life IS going to get in the way, we just need to learn how to "GO WITH THE FLOW" and not get upset.  To either shuffle our day/run/gym time, or incorporate our kids into our routine, to get out the door to exercise.  I'm happt to just go with the flow, and do the best I can, because it is LIFE, and I'm going to enjoy every minute I can.  Happy Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment